File Articles of Amendent

Change your LLC or Corporation name, address, and more

When you first filed to become a legal business entity, part of the process included creating Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization. The information that you submitted contained the name of the business, which business structure best suited your needs (such as an LLC, S Corporation, C Corporation or a Nonprofit Corporation), the appointed registered agent's name and contact information, the effective date in which you started the business and the names of the current partners or shareholders.

As time passes and businesses evolve, you may find that you are in a situation where your business name no longer fits the services you provide or perhaps the leadership team of your company is undergoing changes. Any major event that alters the information on your Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization needs to be reported to your secretary of state by filing an Articles of Amendment form.

Team Meeting

Here to Help File Your Amendment

Save your time. We'll handle the paperwork.

Articles of Amendment are typically filed to change the following information:

  • The addition or removal of a director, officer or member for LLCs

  • To change the business address of the corporation or LLC

  • To change the number of authorized shares issued by a corporation

  • To alter stated business activities conducted by the corporation or LLC


Frequently Asked Questions

What business changes can be reported in an Articles of Amendment form?


Common changes to file for an amendment with the secretary of state are:

  • Changes to the company name

  • Updates to the registered agent's contact information

  • New company business address

  • Director or member information

  • Number of authorized shares

  • Change in business activities

Most items that are listed on the original articles can be changed by filing an amendment other than the filing date, incorporator or organizer. You cannot change a registered agent through an Articles of Amendment.

Why do I need to file an Articles of Amendment?
Information in the articles of organization is a matter of public record, so LLCs need to make sure that their Articles of Organization on file list the correct information, including company name, owners and managers of the company. If a dispute arises involving ownership, the information contained in the company’s Articles of Organization will be used to prove who owns the company. If a name dispute arises with another company, this also ensures your legal rights.


How much does it cost to file Articles of Amendment?

The state fee varies by state. Our service fee to file Articles of Amendment is $258.75 (this inlcudes your state fee).

What will I receive when the Articles of Amendment are filed?

The governing state agency will typically return a copy of the filed articles to Victory Up, which are then emailed to our customers.

What information is required to file an Articles of Amendment?

The basic information needed includes:


  • Your current entity name

  • The name you wish to change it to (if applicable)

  • The text of the new amendments that you are adopting

  • The date on which each amendment was adopted (some states require member or board of directors voting to pass these amendments), if there is a delay in the date as to when the amendment will be adopted and the name(s) and address(es) of the individual(s) who are submitting this document to be delivered for filing (many states require the signatures of the president and secretary of your company).

How do I submit my Articles of Amendment?

These forms need to either be mailed to your secretary of state or delivered in person to their office. Some states do offer online forms, but online forms are considered expedited and can cost an additional fee. However, Victory Up can take care of filing your Articles of Amendment for you.

How long does it take to file Articles of Amendment?

The filing time is dependent on the governing state agency and varies by state. For example, in California the process takes over eight weeks. Many states do offered expedited service for an additional fee.